Monday, January 23, 2012

Logos, Pathos, & Ethos

Logos: I appeal to logic a few times throughout my paper by using actual numbers and statistics regarding statements. For example, I used the statistic that "within 20 years, 67% of marriages in which the bride is 18 years old or younger end in divorce". I also appealed to logic by talking about the growth and maturity of the human brain, and citing research done on the human brain. 

Pathos: I appeal to the emotions of the reader by using a personal story/example about my parents getting married young. I could also bring out negative emotions, especially with readers who have gotten married quickly or at young ages. I definitely have a more negative tone when talking about people getting married quickly, which could anger people. 

Ethos: I appeal to authority by quoting outside sources, and by using information from medical research done concerning the human brain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment