Friday, January 27, 2012

Feeling This

I'm startin to get sick of this whole winter business. Yes, I'm "from" Colorado, but I was born and raised in the oh so sunny and quite warm San Diego. I'm sick of being cold, and having to wear like 10 layers of clothing....and yet, still be cold. And no I'm not a big snow fan. Occasionally it's fun...like going sledding and the spontaneous snowball fight (oh wait....snowballs are illegal in Provo...yeah that's freaking weird)

I'm also startin to get sick of this whole Utah thang. I love Mormons and errything but sometimes I just need a break from the "Mormon Scene". I've never really been one to do typical Mormon activities like sit around and bake cookies and watch Disney movies.

Side note... What is with Mormon's obsessions with Disney movies?! Okay, they're cool every once in a while for a little reminiscing on childhood, but honestly the last time I watched a Disney movie was probably 3 or 4 years ago...at least. Okay, anywho... I feel like my entire ward (which consists of mostly people from Utah or Mesa...both heavily Mormon populated areas...not sure if this is a factor?) enjoys doing those "typical" Mormon things...and I feel like sometimes I'm just the weird outsider. A perfect Friday night for me would probably involve going to some sort of concert or live show (at Velour or Muse....both are great and you should check em out!) of an indie-ish band, going out to eat somewhere, maybe walk around "downtown" or something, and maybe end it with a chill movie...Preferably not Disney...or Twilight....or Harry Potter... (I just made myself sound very indie...Which I guess I slightly am...)

Ooh or maybe end my night with some Criminal Minds... It's probably my favorite T.V. show... Mostly because it's intense and scary and just plain great....but also a large part of my liking for it is because of my fondness for one of the characters, Spencer Reid. Holy Hannah. (My newly acclaimed "Utah Phrase"...Mommas gonna be so proud I'm a Utah girl now! haha not :p) I swear, I will marry that beautiful boy one day. He's literally the perfect combination of nerdy and hot.

Oh another earlier side note... The obsession with Twilight and Harry Potter....Mormons seriously all seem to have the same overly obsessive personality trait. I'm not exactly one to talk though! I have a little problem with Tumblr and Twitter. Especially Tumblr....It's so freaking great. I seriously have an addiction. In the last month, alone, I've "tumbled" about 300 times. If you don't know what it is...check it out. That and Twitter are my two weaknesses...Confession: I'm tumbling right now :p....

So my post title... Feeling This...well it's a pretty fricken tight song that i'm a bit obsessed with right now....Blink 182 is by far my favorite band (Yes...they're a little old school) .... Go on a journey and take a listen aight? For some reason I end up talking real ghetto late at night...lucky you! Mmkay ima stop rambling now...

Peace & Blessins y'all.

P.S. Not sure why I'm posting this picture b/c it just makes me mad that I'm not in California right now or any beach for that matter. Summer...please hurry up.




13 comments:

  1. Wow, I almost forgot that this was someone else’s thoughts! Growing up on a dairy farm, I loved to sled with my dad and sister- jumping terraces and making igloos. However, working outside in the Nebraska wet-cold wind until your feet and hands no longer move or feel isn’t my idea of a “winter wonderland.” I guess you could say that I like Kenney Chesney’s ideal Christmas present: “All I Want for Christmas is a Real Good Tan,” where “No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems” is a reality. As for the Utah Mormon culture, I couldn’t agree more. Don’t get me wrong, I love to sing hymns in the choir at church on Sunday, but please do NOT play the Mormon Tabernacle Choir music all day, every day- especially while I’m trying to concentrate on my homework or workout. Next, I enjoyed watching “The Lion King” as I was a child and it’s a great movie, though I would prefer watching something like a football game, “Captain America,” or “House” now. Most of all, I wish people were “Like My Dog” – (Billy Currington).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I love all of your country song references! The idea of snow is fun, and for a little while it's fun, but I'd so much rather live somewhere warm and visit the snowy places!

      Delete
  2. Hallelujah! I would kill for 79 degree weather right now. Which is literally what it is at home right this very second. I would straight up be at the beach right now if I was back home!! Oh well... Like you said snow is fun for about 3 or 4 minutes. Then your shoes are wet and your freezing. Miss those palm trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ughh me too! I'm so tempted to just drop everything and road trip out to California! Either that or transfer to BYU Hawaii haha.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I am constantly thinking about “Some Beach” that I could just “Roll With It.” Thank heavens that I purposefully did NOT apply for BYU-Hawaii! With the lifeguard in me, I would NEVER go to class; especially if summer doesn’t end, I would never leave- not with my love affair with “Water.”

      Delete
  3. I'm from Mesa. :( sad face
    Snowboarding is nice. Real nice. I can't snowboard much in Mesa but the weather is sublime.
    Hey! I read the title of your blog and said, "That's funny, I listened to that song today." (appropriate comma placement). And then I scrolled down and said, "NO WAY! IT IS A REFERENCE TO THAT SONG!" (presses play button)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What the...I remember when Blink 182 was NEW school...whatever happened to The Rolling Stones and The Beatles being old school??

    ReplyDelete
  5. isn't blink182 getting back together and coming out with an album soon?

    but yeah I hear ya about utahville and california dreamin' and whatnot. I'm from nor-cal and I miss the weather, the fun stuff to do, and the variety of backgrounds of different people.

    *sidenote, I'm not addicted to any of those things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've actually been back together for a while now and their latest album came out over the summer. It's pretty good but I'm more of a fan of their old stuff!

      Delete
    2. I read your post and totally missed your blink shout out. They're my favorite band!! Small things is classic, but Always is probably my favorite right now!

      Delete
  6. I love this. Your line about Mormons being obsessed about baking cookies and watching Disney movies was classic. Live concert or watching Tangled for the 30th time? Live Concert FOR SURE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you. And this is why you are my roomate....

    ReplyDelete